Class 1 - Notes
Before 8:29pm on Thursday, 21 January:
- Visit the course site, xplorecs.org, to find the on-line version of these notes with links to follow.
- Submit Registration Survey.
- Join the https://cs1120.slack.com group and send an entertaining message to the group to announce your presence.
- Add the course calendar to your calendar (if you don't use Google calendar, do this using ical).
- Read and sign the course pledge (and bring to class Friday). If you don't agree to everything in it, make sure to talk with me.
- Register at udacity.com and start the first lesson of Intro to Computer Science (cs101).
- Read Chapter 1: Computing of the coursebook.
Before 11:29pm on Sunday, 24 January:
- Complete Lesson 1 of Intro to Computer Science (cs101), including ""Lesson 1: Problem Set".
- Read Chapter 2: Language of the coursebook.
- First opportunity to take "White Belt" test will be in class on Monday, 25 January. It will cover material from the first two classes, Chapters 1 and 2 of the coursebook, and cs101: Lesson 1 and cs101: Lesson 1: Problem Set.
Notes and Questions
What is a computer?
How many computers are you carrying right now?
What is Computer Science? (We didn't cover this, but think about it, and we will cover it in Friday's class)